Happy Birthday, Young Man!
When Solomon was given an opportunity to ask for God anything that he desired, he chose wisdom. By that very request we know that he already possessed a great dose of it, don’t we?
One of the greatest gifts we can give to you is to share the wisdom and knowledge of things we have learned in our lives. It is in that spirit that we share these with you.
These are the things we want you not just to know, but to live out in your life:
1. You are loved by your parents. We lecture and correct because we love and care for you very much. (Proverbs 3:12)
2. You were created by a God who loves you. You weren’t an accident or a random chance birth. God has a purpose and a plan for your life. (Jeremiah 29:11)
3. We believe in you. We know that you will do great things with your life. Stay the course. Work hard. Rest well. Enjoy life. Follow your passions. Don’t give up on your dreams. Spend your life doing something that brings you fulfillment.
5. Remember that your life in not your own. You were bought with a great price. Honor your body. It is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Keep it holy. Take care of it. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Romans 12:1)
6. Let His word be your light. There is no shortage of things to guide you in this world. Let God’s word be your beacon of truth and hope. Always make time in your day for His word. Be transformed by it. (Psalm 119:105, Joshua 1:8, Romans 12:2)
7. Trust in Him and His ways. Acknowledge Him first and foremost in all that you do. Know that He will make your paths straight. Submit to Him and allow Him to be your guide trusting that He knows what you need. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
8. May He be your hope. Not the things of the world. Not your education, your job, your paycheck, or your retirement account. Him and Him alone. (Colossians 1:27)
9. Always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you. Remember that you are being watched. Remember that you are the salt and the light of the world. Live in such a way that others see Christ in you and when they ask, tell them of the hope you find in Him. (Matthew 5:13-16, 1 Peter 3:15, )
10. Remember the least of these. Let your heart break for the things that break the heart of Jesus. His concern was for the poor, the orphans, and the widow. Give to them generously because He has given generously to you. (Matthew 25:40, James 1:27)
11. See others the way Jesus does & love others with His love. Others will always let us down, but try to see them the way Jesus does. Offer mercy. Extend grace. Love wholly. Live sacrificially. (1 Corinthians 16:14)
13. Just because the majority are doing it, that doesn’t make it right. Jesus and His disciples weren’t the majority in His day. Let Him be your measure of truth and goodness. (John 14:6)
14. Don’t live for yourself. Live for Him first. Others second. (Luke 10:27)
15. Don’t love the things of this world. Do not love the world or the things of the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. ~1 John 2:15 (NKJV)
16. Hold fast to your faith. Cling to it with all that you have and stand firm. Be aware of the fact that the enemy wants you on his side. He will do anything to get you there. Be wise as a serpent. Remember whose you are. (Matthew 24:13, 1 John 3:1)
Your Daddy and I are so proud of the young man that you have become. We cannot wait to see what God has in store for your future. Happy, happy birthday, Son. Know that you are always in our hearts and in our prayers. God has truly blessed our lives with you, our firstborn.
Shared at Essential Thing Devotions, The SHINE Blog Hop, Counting My Blessings, Serving Joyfully, Salt & Light, Tell Me A Story, 3-D Lessons for Life, Missional Call, Rich Faith Rising, I Choose Joy!, Thriving Thursday, & The New Mrs. Adventures.
Also at Show Stopper Saturday, Soul Survival, The Art of Homemaking Mondays, The SDG Gathering, Cornerstone Confessions, Teach Me Tuesday, Inspire Me Monday, Faith Along the Way, So Much At Home, Good Morning Mondays, A Proverbs 31 Wife, & Susan B. Mead.